These are some interesting insights that I didn’t exactly predict. I am not so worried about the Type 2 Diabetes. I have a basic knowledge on nutrition and I am quite confident I will be able to stave it off by keeping my blood sugar stable and timing my carb intake more precisely.
The odds that I will develop „Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)“ are 4 times higher than in an average population. AMD leads to an irreversible loss of vision in the western world among people above 60. No surprise here actually – AMD runs in my father’s family. My great grandmother used huge glasses to read until she died at the tender age of 96 and my grandmother also glasses. However, similar to Diabetes I am not so worried about AMD either. Current eye laser treatment is pretty decent already and I can safely expect that by 2050 (I will be 60 then) we will have bionic eyes with the sharp vision of an eagle.
Lung cancer is attributable to smoking in 90% of cases. That leaves me in the 10% group that may affect me because my other grandmother died of lung cancer 2 years ago, even though she never touched a cigarette in her life.
Good news, my risk for „Celiac Disease“ is very low. I am not intolerant to gluten (which I never suspected) and can go back to eating noodles and bread – just kidding. Bread and pastries still make me fart like crazy so I’d rather opt out and choose more nutrient-dense foods.
It’s funny that my risk for „Coronary Heart Disease“ (CHD) is lower than average. I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia (which by the way wasn’t detected by the 23andMe test) and my grandfather died of a heart attack early in life and my father survived a heart attack at 47. Given this family history I would have expected my risk for CHD to be higher.
Interestingly, I have an AA genotype which is associated with lower C-reactive protein (CRP). Lower CRP means less inflammation, means decreased risk for heart disease. Who knows, maybe heart disease in my father’s family stops with me?
The length of your telomeres is associated with your longevity. From 23andMe:
„Telomeres are DNA sequences that protect the ends of chromosomes and get shorter with each new copy. When a cell’s telomeres become too short, it can’t make any more copies of itself and eventually dies. For these reasons, telomere length is sometimes used as an indicator of „biological aging“, meaning that it can be used to understand how old a person’s cells appear.“
If you want to learn more about what causes aging (and how at this point we can’t do anyhthing about yet), listen to THIS interview with world-renown anti-aging researcher, Aubrey de Grey.
Apparently, I have the genetics found in many world-class sprinters. This probably translates to a mesomorph phenotype.Whatever, your muscle-building genetics I still think anybody who trains hard, eats a surplus, and sleeps a ton for multiple years will still look impressive despite their genetics.
The genetic test also definitely confirmed that I can tolerate lactose with no problem. I had experimentally confirmed that for myself when I excluded dairy for 5 weeks and reintroduced it back again with no stomach upset. Good reason to go on the „GOMAD“ diet (gallon of milk per day).
Something else I learned is that if you have the right genotype and your mom breastfed you, your IQ is raised by 6-7 points on average. Let’s hope that the future mother of my kids also has the CC genes and produces enough breastmilk to make the smarter.
Another interesting finding was to learn about my drug response to statin medication. I take a low-dose statin to keep my extremely high LDL cholesterol in check. However, taking statins has been associated with muscle soreness (myopathy). I will probably be taking statins for years to come so knowing that my odds of myopathy while on statin therapy are normal is helpful.
Go Test Yourself
A test that was inaccessible and cost thousands of dollars just 1o years ago is available for only $99. Get tested, learn about your genome, and make the right precautions to live a long and healthy life.
If you want to read about somebody else’s 23andMe test results head over to THIS site.